Sunday, June 16, 2024

Blowing in the wind

At several places in Portugal during our original trips in 2023 to tour the country we had heard people reference the wind.  When we were in Setubal our host told us that the weather and lagoon was perfect in this location for kite-surfing.  There were placards near the beach showcasing some international tournaments that they have there.

Our hosts in Aljezur mentioned when we stayed there that is very windy there too.

We kind of rode with that.  Both Anne and I have lived in Cape Town which has a just-deserved reputation for being windy.  I suppose you should take note when something like this comes up several times in conversation about a place.  Like for example, "it rains a lot in England"!

In Cape Town the wind is notorious, I've been stranded clinging onto a pole in the foreshore with little prospect of making it across the street without being blown along like a leaf!  Anne has a strong memory of both her feet lifting off the ground with her dad holding fast to her hand in a street in Cape Town.

The truth is that it is often very windy.  I suspect in Portugal people watch the weather forecast as much for the wind as we used to watch for snow warnings in Massachusetts.

I took a screenshot from windy.com which shows the wind situation over the past day and future few days.  The averages are about 14mph with gusts going up to 30mph.  The Beaufort Scale describes 14mph as"Leaves and small twigs in constant motion; light flags extended. Large wavelets on sea" (Beaufort Scale).

A few weeks ago - not long after I arrived to rejoin Anne and Nick, we had a night with winds that were strong enough to wake us. 

Coming in to land at Faro airport

It has been quite warm so we sleep with a window open but we have learned that having something on the windowsill (portable speaker, ornament) is asking for trouble.

We woke up the the next morning to find drawings and prints all over the yard, in the street on the other side of our 2m (7ft) fence and in the neighbors garden - the wind had whipped a heavy box of broken ceramic pieces off a table where it was doubling as a paper-weight and scattered the papers that were stacked there.

Anne and I spent 45 minutes wandering around picking up copies and originals of images that she had made on our travels and for a book she had worked on.

We are still gradually unpacking, which is why there was a box of papers on the rear porch.  We have more photos and paintings than wall space so the process of choosing what we want to hang has been fairly slow - made even slower with us both succumbing to a virus that laid us both low for more than a week.

I mentioned before how the wind at night has at various times lead to me making wild assumptions about what the noise actually was and yes, we are still having occasional WTF reactions to noises even though the wind has become the usual suspect.  

My first thought now, when it happens, is: "What's banging in the wind?" but unfortunately, when the sounds comes from inside, from the kitchen, at 10:30pm while you are watching a creepy TV show ("Dark Matter") all of our sensors go up.

When it happened we immediately started thinking it was a creature of some kind.  Anne went to "rat" and I went to "cat" - our first leaps of the imagination.

I go into the kitchen and there was nothing remarkable in there.  We have a pantry/under the stairs storage room which was crammed with boxes, paper and suitcases but the door was firmly closed.

I opened it and saw that one of the wall hooks uses double sided tape had pulled away from the wall.  The yoga seat that had been hanging on it was lying on the floor next to it.

"Whew,  the damn hook fell off, how useless are these hooks!?"

So we went back to the TV show until there was another very distinct clatter/scrabble(?) from the kitchen.

This time I was thinking there was a bird in the chimney (maybe) but as I inspected it, a sound, like a box rustling, came from inside the "pantry".

I opened the door again and took in the scene - basically clutter with boxes, cardboard recycling and suitcases and a small window that tilts inward that was open! 

"It's a creature",  I called out confidently.

Anne was still thinking "rat" so she wanted to know what I was going to do about it.

My plan was to get some storage boxes and line the kitchen to give the creature a wide corridor to the back door and then take everything out of the pantry and onto the back porch.  Anne kept saying, "but Tim, rats can jump!" and I was thinking "its a cat", because the idea of a rat leaping over a packing box was not where I wanted my thoughts to go.  "I'll encourage it along the ground if it is a rat", was my thought - a cat would have none of the corridor anyway but at least they are domesticated and may not immediately attack me.

After we had built this corridor, I found our ceremonial sword.  This is something that Anne has from her Highland Dancing competitions when she was a wee bairn.  I spent a few moments wondering what the hell I'd do with it if a creature leapt out of the box at me.  I don't want to stab a cat but I'm pretty sure Anne wouldn't mind me stabbing a rat.  Besides, quite frankly, there is nothing more unwieldy than a sword in a tight space and I was picturing myself, pierced in the leg by our own rusty sword.

So sanity prevailed and I grabbed a walking stick.  I would shoo rather than decapitate whatever was in there. 

I dragged the first box all the way out of the back door - it was filled with cut and torn cardboard that were use as kindling for the stove - an ideal home for a rodent.  No creature in there.

The same was true for all of the remaining boxes under there and the next morning when I went to close the window I was reminded by the wire mesh beyond it that it has a mosquito screen, so no creature could have got in there to start with.

I'm going with the idea that we should only use the drill and screws to set hooks and never use glue-backed hooks to hang things inside.  My other ideas, like what the F was that noise then after all, have been closed in the pantry for now.  I'll keep thinking it was either the wind blowing a calendar or a picture hanger that fell and leave it at that.

I have to go back to the USA by the 23rd because I will have used up my 3 months on the tourist visa by then.  Anne will be here with a promise of a visit by one of our daughters and a short trip of her own to England.  Hopefully my temporary residence permit will arrive soon enough for me to return at the end of the first week of July.

When I get back I'll make an album of photos of the house.  We have decided to hold off on doing anything in the garden for a few months and focus on getting our things properly situated first.

And we'll let sleeping cats lie.

4 comments:

  1. Lovely sweet update! Hope to see you while you’re back. Love to you both!
    M in Essex

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful writing and also scary with that wind! I felt sad when I read about the papers in the street. Hold on tight, you two.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoyed the story. You are both looking soooo chilled and retired, lovely stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Tim and Anne
    Funny adventures in your new house! We are all getting used to new weather patterns, it seems, no matter where we live. In the midst of a lovely day last weekend, the sky darkened here and torrential rain fell with lightening, thunder and more winds. It was over in no time, but left a tree limb downed in the street out front, a landslide of rock and debris in the foundation trench of for the new addition and a very frightened Trixie for me to deal with after it was all over!! A while later the sun came out!
    Having fun watching Celtics basketball Tim, and hoping they pull it out to win the finals and raise another banner at the Garden. My trip to Oakland is all set, leaving early on the 30th (about 7:00am for a 9:30 flight) and arriving back in Boston July 6th @ midnight. Hope that all works for your schedule Tim. Let me know, ok?

    ReplyDelete